Historic Sequoia Legacy Tree

'A Giant Growing in our Midst' 
 
Located at the corner of Locust Street and Acequia Avenue in Downtown Visalia

 
About This Historic Tree 
In February of 1936, Guy Hopping, superintendent of General Grant National Park (as it was known then) and Visalia Postmaster Nate Levy planted a pair of sequoia trees on either side of the Downtown Visalia post office. Hopping provided the trees, which were only 3 years old when they were planted, from the Grant Grove in the General Grant National Park. Hopping spent winters in an office in the basement of the beautiful art-deco post office, and he thought the trees would be a visual symbol of the collaboration between the two agencies and would bring a piece of the national parks to Visalia. Although the second tree was removed in the 1980s due to poor health, this tree has remained as a reminder of the strong relationship Visalia still enjoys with our neighbors in the mountains. 
 
General Grant National Park was established in 1890. In 1940, it was expanded and renamed Kings Canyon National Park. 
 
This project was created to provide an outdoor learning space for visitors and residents alike. Not only does it highlight the ties between Visalia and our local national parks, it demonstrates the importance of the Sierra Nevada Mountains to the valley floor for water, the need for conservation, and our historical connection to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks and the National Park Service. 

 
Our Sponsors 
Many community partners contributed in support of this project: 

Very special thanks to: 

GET THE LATEST FROM VISALIA
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
GET THE LATEST FROM VISALIA
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
©2018 Visalia Convention & Visitors Bureau
P.O. Box 2734 Visalia, CA 93279
(800) 524-0303 : (559) 334-0141